Extra Free Baggage Included on International Flights
All customers that book a ValueFlyer or Sale fare for travel between Harare & Johannesburg, Bulawayo & Johannesburg and Victoria Falls and Johannesburg are entitled to FREE checked baggage allowance which includes a maximum of two (2) pieces of checked baggage with a combined weight of 40 kg and a cabin baggage allowance of 7kg.
Standard Baggage Allowances.
ValueFlyer and Sale Fares
One (1) piece of free Checked Baggage is included in the price of your ticket.
Two (2) pieces of free Checked Baggage are included in the price of your ticket.
- Checked Baggage is limited to 23 kg per piece on all routes except Victoria Falls - Maun which is limited to 20 kg.
- If your bag exceeds 23 kg, you will be charged extra for each additional kg up to the maximum allowable weight of 32 kg per bag.
- For safety reasons, no single item can exceed 32 kg or a combined maximum dimension of 81cm + 119cm + 119cm = 319cm.
- Each passenger, regardless of fare, may purchase one (1) additional piece of Checked Baggage (23 kg).
- We suggest that you pre-book your additional Checked Baggage online to save. Alternatively, additional baggage may be added at the airport at a higher cost.
- Checked Baggage may include but is not limited to a suitcase, sports equipment or musical instruments, rucksacks or tents. The permitted baggage allowance applicable to the fare type may be substituted for these items.
If you will be travelling with more than your permitted baggage allowance, we suggest adding an extra bag to your booking at a reduced rate before departure. Customers may purchase a maximum of one (1) piece of Checked Baggage.
Book your Checked Baggage in advance and save on fees. Visit the Fees and Charges section for these costs.
Travelling with Smart Bags
Passengers may travel with Smart Bags provided that the lithium battery is disconnected and removed at the check-in counter. The battery must then be carried with you into the aircraft cabin. For safety reasons, if you are unable to remove the battery, fastjet will not accept it for carriage. This is in line with IATA rules and safety standards.
Sports Equipment and musical instruments
Sports equipment and musical instruments are carried in the hold of the aircraft. These items may be interchanged with your allocated baggage allowance or added as extra Checked Baggage. Items cannot exceed 23 kg and a combined maximum dimension of 81cm + 119cm + 119cm = 319cm.
Sports equipment includes, but is not limited to, bicycles, golf bags, surfboards, wind and kite surfing equipment, fishing rods etc. Bicycles must be packed in a bicycle box. Bicycles without the appropriate packaging will not be accepted.
Musical instruments must be packaged in a hard carry case. Instruments without an appropriate hard case will not be accepted.
Should the item exceed the Checked Baggage allowance of 23 kg and a combined maximum dimension of 81cm + 119cm + 119cm = 319cm, please contact our Call Centre to confirm whether we will accept it for carriage.
See the Fees and Charges table for the cost.
Travelling with strollers or wheelchairs
- You can bring one (1) travel system (baby stroller or pram) or car seat per infant or child. The carriage of these items is FREE OF CHARGE.
- Passengers with Reduced Mobility are allowed to carry up to two (2) items of mobility equipment free of charge. This includes a walking stick etc, but only one foldable wheelchair will be allowed per Passenger.
- Passengers travelling with the support of a wheelchair or mobility aid must inform us of their special requirements. The number of passengers accepted for travel requiring the support of a wheelchair or mobility aid is restricted to a prescribed limit per aircraft for safety reasons.
Pre-book and pay less
- Pre-book your extra piece of Checked Baggage online up to three (3) hours prior to your flight departure for the lowest fee. You can also add it to your booking through our Call Centre or at a fastjet shop.
- Additional baggage charges on the day of departure at the airport is at a higher rate, we suggest that you pre-book and save.
- Pre-paid baggage fees are non-refundable if unused, however it may be transferred to a new flight should you amend your booking.
- Refer to our Fees and Charges table for more information.
How to add travel extras and manage your booking
If you want to add extra Checked Baggage after your booking has been made, do so on our website through the “Manage My Booking” function, through the fastjet Call Centre or our authorised agents. You can add one (1) additional piece of Checked Baggage up to three (3) hours before the scheduled departure of your flight at the applicable online rate.
At the airport
- All bags will be weighed at the airport and any excess weight over 23 kg will be charged per excess kg over up to a maximum of 32 kg.
- There is NO refund or partial payment if your bag weighs less than the allocated weight per piece.
- Additional Checked Baggage allowance fees and charges will differ when pre-booked in advance versus on the day of travel at the airport.
- We may at times restrict the total number of checked baggage items accepted per aircraft in accordance with the prescribed payload conditions applicable for our Embraer ERJ-145 aircraft. We will do all possible to load all hold baggage but, in the interest of operational safety, we may opt to carry some baggage on the next available flight to your destination. You are advised that this arrangement for the same travel date especially during our peak travel periods and flights operated with maximum passenger capacities may not be achieved. In some instances, you will only be permitted the carriage of your free checked baggage allowance.
- Travel systems (baby strollers/prams) must be tagged at check-in. It will be taken prior to boarding to be placed safely in the hold, or it can be checked in at the check-in counter.
- Infant/child car seats must be tagged at check-in. It will be facilitated with all checked baggage to be placed in the hold of the aircraft. Infant/child car seats are not allowed to be used on board. On arrival the infant/child car seat must be collected from the allocated baggage carousel.